Hey crafty friends! Welcome to our Spring Forest/Garden Instagram Hop. 12 of us have come from different sides of the globe to bring YOU 12 special projects! We also have generous PRIZES from our sponsors loads of great brands and stores!!! Read till the end to know how to participate!
I'm super excited to share my project with you all. My beautiful friend Phoebe has organised a special Instagram hop with a Spring Forest theme (I really do have amazing friends!). Well where I live we don't really have a Spring, Autumn or Winter, we have summer and slightly less summer. Soooo I chose a bright and vibrant project to work in with something special I've been brewing (more on my Instagram soon). So let me share with you my bright tropical forest themed journal page.
Now before I begin, I wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU to Catherine Pooler for sending me some of her beautiful inks and stamps to play with in my Travel Journal- you'll be seeing more of these in the next few projects - plus a review and road test of the inks in detail!
For this project, I started by making my own custom embellishments (as I didn't have a thing needed to make this page in my stash - I know I couldn't believe it either!).
The first step is to create a custom image - I used an Instax printer, Catherine Pooler rectangular striped box stamp and Midnight ink to create a custom stamped border. Worked beautifully (after a little drying time) and didn't affect the surface of the photo which was a nice surprise.
Next, create some franken-flowers with custom coloring by deconstructing several different Prima flowers and putting them back together after a little trimming to size and re-shaping using your fingers. I colored these with Art Alchemy paints mixed with water to achieve a variety of shades and a little Lindy's Starburst spray in California Poppy Gold. I used varying amounts of the same paint and spray on each of the 3 flower types.
Make your own varied leaf embellishments and then die cut or fussy cut out the finished leaves (I fussy cut every leaf and it took 4 hours of cutting - but wow they look good!). I made 2 kinds of leaves.
#1 Plain bold stamped leaves (I used the Catherine Pooler Ink Grass Skirt) - gotta say the ink was like a dream on these bold images (more in that in an upcoming road test vid!), but just look at how flawless the stamped image was!
#2 Leaves colored using Lindy's Magicals - I used Luscious Lime and Lucky Shamrock Green in a variety of ways to achieve the varied color and pattern you can see below. My favorites turned out to be the ones where I applied the dry magical powder directly to the leaves with a water brush - these have the most variety of color and look amazing!
Now it's time to create the background color on the page - I stuck to using my Lindy's sprays and Catherine Pooler Inks (more info in the ink road test coming soon). I stamped a beautiful side border and added some inky pools of color and some splatters - flicking sparkly ink around makes me happy!
Once the background is dry it's time to build the page and position the embellishments - start with the photo and then build the leaves around it, you are trying to frame the photo - not cover it up! Once happy with the positioning stick down each leaf using glossy accents.
Then move onto the flowers, aim for a tropical bouquet and create a main floral focal point near the photo, something smaller in one of the corners to help balance the page and then scatter some smaller flowers for pops of color.
To finish add tiny crystals and any final embellishments (like the cute little globe from Catherine Pooler).
I hope you have enjoyed my spin on this Spring Forest Hop and I can't wait to come back soon and show you more great ideas!
Affiliate links in use where possible, Please know that while I have been provided product to test, my comments, opinions and reviews are 100% my own (good, bad or ho hum I'll tell you what I think).
- Catherine Pooler Inks: Midnight, Foundations Ink Pad Minis (Grass Skirt, Fiesta Blue) and Juniper Mist
- Catherine Pooler Stamps: Yay Stripes and Going Where
- Lindy's Sprays: Luscious Lime, Gag me with a spoon grey, TiffanyLou Blue, California Poppy Gold and Frozen Jack Frost
- Lindy's Magicals: Luscious Lime, Lucky Shamrock Green and Wake Me Up Before You Go Gold
- AltNew Stamps - Parrot Paradise (though Totally Tropical would have been great as well)
- Instax Share 2 Photo Printer
- Glossy Accents
- Prima Flowers and random smaller flowers, Prima Say it in Crystals - Wild and Free
- Finnabair Art Alchemy Acrylic Paint - Gold Rush and Wild Fuchsia
Now it's time to head over to Phoebe's Instagram account and start the hop by leaving a comment on her special hop post to have a chance to win one of the prizes from our super generous sponsors!
For a chance to win the prizes:
- You MUST Follow all the Instagram accounts in this hop. (Listed below)
- Leave a comment under Phoebe's special hop post with your country name (eg, Phoebe Tonosaki, Japan)
- Tag friends in the post. One friend per comment.
Giveaway starts 8th Apr (CET 11am) to 14th Apr (CET 11am). Winner announced no later than as soon as possible in our Instagram accounts.
- @k8palmer <= You are here
- 2Crafty chipboard- Set 0f 10 chipboard (including shipping)
- Bad Girls Couture - USD25 gift certificate
- Bloomer Designs - 10 chipboard sets (for Europe only)
- Creartive Corner - EUR20 voucher (including shipping) (for Europe only)
- Fantasy - 3 x RUB1000 vouchers
- Freetany Flowers – Goodies bag of flowers (including shipping)
- Kora - EUR25 voucher (including shipping) (for Europe only)
- Lady E Design - Dies "Flower 5" & " Leaf 5"(for Europe only)
- Lindy’s Gang - 2 x USD25 voucher
- MimiCut - One napkin Die (including shipping)
- My Rusty Crown - USD25 voucher (for US only)
- Snip Art - 1 x goodies bag (for Europe or US only)
- Studio75 - EUR15 voucher (including shipping) (for Europe only)
- @ badgirlscouture2007