Welcome, welcome and roll right up for the Old Treasures Hop! I am so honored to be a part of this amazing altering extravaganza with 15 renowned Mixed Media artists worldwide! Today I have given myself a bit of a challenge to create something useful and wearable using my mixed media skills - I will be altering a necklace and transforming it into an old treasure with a steampunk theme.
Now this one was a bit of a challenge for me as I was determined to make something I could wear - so it limited some of my product choices and creative decisions - but I've never shied away from a challenge and this was no different. I had an old necklace I'd bought over 10 years ago, it was no longer my taste and I don't wear it and it just sat in the drawer gathering dust (or cat fur in my house). This was the perfect candidate for the Old Treasures hop as I was certain I could make this into something I would wear! I decided to dive right in and see what happens, and before I knew it I'd pried, cut and pulled apart a good portion of my original necklace and was ready to start altering.
How I Altered a Necklace
Now the basic process for altering my necklace was:
- Choose a sacrificial piece of jewelry and remove any bits that don't fit the final theme or that will make it difficult to work with - like beads, crystals, chains, dangly bits.
- Paint metal with black paint and allow to dry (metal paint is preferable for this step).
- Add metal embellishments with jewelry glue and cover any areas of the original necklace you want to preserve with washi tape (something easy to peel off).
- Add copper wire embellishments (protect with washi).
- Begin adding Patina metal paint using a sponge or old brush - vary the colors layer by layer to build up an aged look to the surface - allow paint to dry between each layer to preserve the colors.
- Apply Art Alchemy metallic paints to the surface to add some shimmer and the illusion of aged iridescent colors, like Roman Glass buried for years. The wings on the little tap are some of my favorite parts! Add more Patina paint and Art Alchemy paint until you are happy with the look and finish with a little black Patina Paint to darken the whole piece.
- Add Inka Gold Wax paste to highlight the texture and designs.
- Add watch parts and brass or copper elements - make sure to make each little bit interesting!
- Add gems or crystals for a touch of bling
- Seal if necessary (if like me you have very acid skin).
- Reassemble the necklace and you are good to wear your unique new creation.
Watch this piece come together right here step-by-step in the video below - and make sure to LEAVE YOUR COMMENT ON YOUTUBE to be entered into the prize draw!
Affiliate links in use when possible (so I can buy more goodies!)
- Vintaj Patina Paints: Marine, Patina, Opalite, Amethyst, Onyx, Victorian Gold, Rust, Moss and Ochre
- Art Alchemy Acrylic Paint - Metallique: Steampunk Copper, Light Patina, Gold Rush, Mermaid Teal, Crocus Fields and Ancient Coin
- E6000 Glue
- Tim Holtz Distress Paint - Black Soot
- Metal Embellishments: small bees
- Vintage Watch Parts (Amazon)
- Prima Metal Tap
- Watch Parts from eBay
- Mixed Gems from Etsy
- Copper Wire 18gauge
- Necklace for altering
- Jewelry Tools - Pliers
- Old paintbrush and kitchen pot scourer
OK - we have MASSIVE giveaways on this hop - our sponsors were very generous!!! You have until October 1st to watch, comment and subscribe.
To enter the giveaways you MUST:
- Watch and comment all 15 videos + add your country in the comments
- Subscribe to all 15 channels
Not mandatory, but please share and tag your friends!
Winners will be randomly chosen among all eligible entries and will be announced on October 4th in our social media (plus I'll add a note right here on this post) oxoxo
Our Wonderful Sponsors
We have 22 wonderful and generous sponsors that will spoil you with their fabulous gifts.
LIST OF PRIZES
- 2Crafty Chipboards: $50 value goodies bag
- 7 Dots Studio: $25 gift certificate
- 7 Kids Crafting Supplies: $30 gift certificate
- Aga Baraniak: goodies bag
- Altenew: $30 gift certificate
- Bob n Betty: goodies bag
- Canvas Corp Brands: $25 gift certificate
- Creative Embellishments: $30 gift certificate
- Cuts2luv: $15 gift certificate + shipping
- DCWV: goodies bag
- Fabrika Decoru: $50 goodies bag
- Itsy Bitsy: 500rp gift certificate
- Joggles: gift certificate
- KORA projects: goodies bag
- Lindy’s Stamp Gang: $25 gift certificate
- Little Birdie: goodies bag
- Mixed Media Place: gift certificate
- Mintay Papers: goodies bag
- Mudra Craft Stamps: goodies bag
- Scrapiniec: goodies bag
- Snip Art: goodies bag
- Stamperia: goodies bag
These are the links to the 15 videos, but you can hop from one to the next one using the end screen you’ll find at the end of every video:
⭐️ Heather Thompson: https://youtu.be/6QIZYdJb34I
⭐️ Maria Lillepruun: https://youtu.be/c3rhOGpKirQ
⭐️ Keren Tamir: https://youtu.be/d5xjVN-MIwk
⭐️ Natassa Blazaki https://youtu.be/o1XRDrjeE_0
⭐️ Sunila Mahajan: https://youtu.be/5eE86TrLl84
⭐️ Aditi Mahajan: https://youtu.be/6-8L-y8tjbM
⭐️ Arantzazu Sangrador: https://youtu.be/qMI_XtarvvY
⭐️ Phoebe Tonosaki: https://youtu.be/l3zVDGk5gOI
⭐️ Nuneka Box: https://youtu.be/-uVi3cCyHWs
⭐️ Aleksandra Mihelič: https://youtu.be/zKeiDOjTLio
⭐️ Preeti Datta (aka Dutt Preety): https://youtu.be/s0JhaMcPs6M
⭐️ Asia Marquet: https://youtu.be/y_KWtsYqZHw
⭐️ Riddhi Jani: https://youtu.be/-7YMJcCS9nk
⭐️ Noura Pompilla Mejia: https://youtu.be/vhjdRngvnwQ
⭐️ Kate Palmer: https://youtu.be/DF6k0vSZ1DA
I hope you enjoy this amazing journey and learn loads of new ideas for mixed media and altering your very own projects oxoxo
And remember - head on over to YouTube to leave a comment to be entered into the prize draw!