Hello hello sparkly people!
Today I've set myself a little challenge - a simple black and white background for my journal page! And I'll let you in on a little secret, there is not one brush being used on the page background in any way - none at all! So how am I applying the paint? Get ready to get dirty because we are going to get in there and do some fabulous finger painting to create this B&W background!
Check out how you can make this fast and simple page in this step-by-step clip.
Glue collage paper (or cute paper bags) onto journal page using matt medium. These were sent to me by a lovely friend in Japan - though I have no idea where they are from!
Add black and white gesso direct to page and spread with fingers - keep top lighter and make the bottom of page darker - add horizon line by swiping across the paint while it is still wet. Make sure to try and blend your line at least a little, so it doesn't look like a stripe!
Splatter with Lindy's sprays while the paint is still wet and the dry with a heat tool.
Use matte medium to glue on collage papers and make the horizon line more prominent. Then add stamped circles and patterns to page focussing the pattern along the horizon line.
The stamped patterns really help break up the page background.
Fill some of the stamped images with crackle paste (using your fingers of course) and add thinner amounts to the horizon line - allow to dry and crackle. Resist the urge to dry the paste with a heat tool, you will get a better crackle if you leave it to air dry.
Once the crackle paste is dry, add a little color using aqua pastels in some of the circles - switch to a water brush at this point for better control over the paint.
To make sure the circles really POP add a little gold metallic paint and a hint of shimmering blue as well.
at this point, it just needed something small to finish the page.....
- Dina Wakley White Gesso, Black Gesso, Text and Scribbles Stamp Set, Create to Breathe Stamp
- Jane Davenport Acrylic Paint Kit Metallics
- Jane Davenport Matt Medium
- Ranger Texture Paste: Opaque Crackle
- Dylusions Creative Journal 9x11
- Tim Holtz Slight Alterations Cling Stamps Set
- Vintage Book Paper Sheets Ephemera Pack
- Golden Acrylic Paint – Iridescent Gold
- Art Alchemy Paint: Light Patina
- Jane Davenport Aqua Pastels
- Tim Holtz Words
- Lindy's Sprays: Midnight Rendezvous Raven, Tea Pot Purple and Gag Me With a Spoon Grey (or Steel Shimmer)
- Fine Tip Applicator Bottle
- Printed paper bags
- Fingers, credit card, scrap paper
I hope you enjoyed getting messy with me today, and if you need to purchase anything for this page you know you can get it from Lulu Art online.