By now you probably know I like to customise my own embellishments, backgrounds, flowers, ribbons etc. Well with the release of so many new Lindy's Stamp Gang products over the last year I'm in total heaven. I can now create completely unique and custom embellishments for any project I'm working on and I have found I need to but far less as I just grab something in white and I can then make it whatever colour I like. For the following project I took my inspiration form a peacock feather sitting on my desk, the stunning jewel tones were something I just couldn't go past.
The challenge was that I wanted to find a way to make my colours 'POP' like they do on the feather - how to do that?
After a little thought, I decided to do something a bit different, have a look below.....
'WHAT ?' you say - these are on black!! I know I know - cool huh - did YOU know that your Lindy's products look amazing on black? In this one project I have used 4 different products for a completely unique look - Flat Fabio Sprays, Starburst Sprays, Embossing Powders and Glitter - so many beautiful color coordinated choices I LOVE IT!
- Lindy's Stamp Gang
Starburst Spray - Time Travel Teal
Flat Fabio - Toto's Tornado Black
Glitter - Time Travel Teal, Shabby Turbine Teal & Midnight Rendezvous
Embossing Powder - Aurora Amethyst and Desert Moon Turquoise
- Stickles - Peacock
- Brilliance Stamp Pads - Galaxy Gold & Pearlescent Jade
- Stamp - Stampers Anonymous - K3-715 and Daisy Bucket - Dotted Swirl
- WhichCraft - Chipboard Cogs
- Prima - Rose Leaves, Junkyard Findings - Small Type Bulbs, Say it in Pearls - SIIP Swirls
- I Am Roses - assorted flowers
- Ranger - Emboss It Dabber (Clear)
- FabScraps: Chipboard Shapes - Feathers, Birds on a Wire
- Copic Markers: T9 & BG49
- Chromacryl: Black Acrylic Paint
- Tim Holtz embellishments - please don't ask me to list them all LOL - there were quite a few!
Why did I paint all my embellishments black, well for few reasons
- The background had so many colours I thought this would act as a focal point
- This is a fabulous way to cover over and re-use embellishments that are odd colours, or that don't match anything else you have
- To create some drama and depth
- Plus I knew it would show off the shimmer in my Lindy's products beautifully.
What I've Done:
Create collage on canvas for the background - allow to dry and then spray on a little Starburst Spray in Time Travel Teal and let it drip. You can see more of my process for creating the background over on THIS POST.
Colour all of your embellishments black, I used a combination of black acrylic paint and Lindy's Flat Fabio Spray in Toto's Tornado Black for a little extra depth on the flowers. Let everything dry thoroughly as the following steps use products that will cling to any wet or damp areas.
Apply glue to some of your painted embellishments, work quickly and in small batches so the glue does not dry - sprinkle Midnight Rendezvous Glitter over wet glue and let dry. Repeat this process with additional embellishments - adding Time Travel Teal to some and Shabby Turbine Teal to others. Once dry shake off excess glitter. You can see all 3 glitter colours below, on the birds and the star.
This is the Aurora Amethyst embossing powder on the flower edges.
This is the Desert Moon Turquoise embossing powder on the larger flowers.
and for something a little different - stamp with brilliance ink onto some of the chipboard pieces and emboss using Aurora Amethyst and Desert Moon Turquoise, set embossing powder with a heat gun and brush off any stray mica with a soft paintbrush.
Glue all the coloured embellishments onto your prepared background and you have a stunning peacock coloured canvas!
If you'd like a better look at how I created my embellishments - plus a bonus idea using Starburst Sprays on black then you can watch this clip.
Don't those Lindy's Stamp Gang glitters and embossing powders look amazing on the black! Why not try them for yourself, you'll be surprised at how versatile these really are.