Jane Girl Tag using Distress Markers
I may have gone slightly umm product crazy on this tag - but I had sooo much fun creating this! The stamp is one of a new line by one of my favourite people Jane Davenport. She has bought out 3 stamps so far and I hope more to come - I'm crossing my fingers her Panda Hug image from her sidekick collection will be next!
What I used:
- Little Birdy Jane Girl Stamp
- Distress Markers: Forest Moss, Shabby Shutters, Broken China, Vintage Photo, Spiced Marmalade and Tattered Rose
- Tim Holtz Waterbrush
- Distress Inks: Wild Honey, Vintage Photo, Shabby Shutters & Peeled Paint
- Tim Holtz stamps from Stampers Anonymous: Mixed Media Set, Stuff to Say & Words for Thought
- Archival Ink Jet Black
- Lindy's Glitz Spritz: Gekko Green & Medieval Gold
- Dylusions: Pure Sunshine and Cut Grass
- Fabrications Paper from Teresa Collins
- Shipping Tag
- Inkssentials Ink Blending Tool
- I Am Roses Flowers
- Seam Binding or ribbon
What I did:
1. Using Archival Ink Jet Black ink, stamp image onto tag (I used a manilla shipping tag).
2. Choose colour of Paper and tear to fit opposite corners of tag - don't stick down just yet. You need to do this now as you should choose your markers to match the paper - much easier this way.
3. I thought I'd give my Distress Markers a try here - I learned a very important lesson - these are not watercolours and do not behave as such! My plan had been to lay down the darker colour and 'drag' the ink across the rest of the image to blend. Note to self - the Markers just don't bleed THAT much on manilla tags! The waterbush does soften the colour and feather the edges, but it sure doesn't run across the paper - keeping in mind this was on shipping tag, you may get different results on other surfaces and they are recommended for use on watercolour paper.
4. Not to be discouraged, I applied a little ink from the marker to a plastic lid and used my waterbrush to 'paint' this onto the uncoloured areas - much better, but not quite vibrant enough, you can see some areas appear a bit washed out.
5. Using the Shabby Shutters marker, I coloured all over the green areas again - the resulting colour was much more vibrant. I had a few tiny areas of bleeding which will be easily fixed with coloured pencil.
6. Now to decorate the tag. I've used Peeled Paint Distress ink to stamp some fabulous background images and a phrase from Tim Holtz.
7. I've used the Inkssentials Ink Blending Tool to add Wild Honey and Shabby Shutters Distress inks over the tag background, and then Vintage Photo on the edges.
8. Flick a little Glitz Spritz over the inked areas and allow to dry.
9. Use Dylusions and Glitz Spritz to colour length of seam binding or white ribbon.
Doesn't it look yummy, I just randomly squirted on all 3 sprays and scrunched.
10. Use Dylusions and Glitz Spritz to colour flower, leaf and buds. I used Pure Sunshine Dylusions and Medieval Gold for the flower, spraying with the Glitz Spritz first and then over the top with the Dylusions.
Leave all the elements to dry overnight and adhere to tag, for the final touch thread dyed ribbon through tag hole and trace around text with fine black pen to make it stand out.
I think I'm in love with this beautiful stamp!