OK some days I get so excited by something I leap right in and every now and then don't quite get it right - that was the case with this page. I was supposed to do 2 pages for homework, one paint over copied image and one gesso image transfer - I watched both clips on LifeBook and enthusiasticly began my page - half way into the colouring I was scratching my head - something wasn't right - uh oh - I had unintentionally combined the 2 techniques and had it all muddled! What a comedy of errors - oh well I decided to continue and see where it took me and this page is the result. Let's say I learned a lot from creating this one and in spite of all the detours, it does look like me - although for some reason I felt it needed wings and antennae - call me Butterfly girl - I sure feel like a caterpillar coming out or it's cocoon!
Note to self: next time do NOT use ballpoint pen as it ran, the colours split into weird greens/blues and greys and bled when sprayed with fixative and DO NOT outline face in black - far too harsh!
Colour pages using Winsor & Newton Gouache and wipe over top with gesso to give white-wash effect. Cut laser copy black and white image out and adhere face down on page using gesso as the adhesive. Let dry.
Begin applying spray dyes around and partially over image, I applied some Dylusions, some Starbursts, a little scraped on gesso and some gold Ranger acrylic paint through a butterfly stencil.
Then I added some texture paste circles and rubbed the top layer off the gesso stuck image to almost reveal the photo underneath (can't say this worked very well I had spots, it was too pale and not easy to see), next time I would adhere direct to white unpainted page. The texture paste absorbed a little of the dye colour from underneath - cool!
Then I added white acrylic paint to the texture paste circles, and added the similar colours of Ranger dabbers on top and mixed a little - finishing with a small swipe of gold paint once dry. I used Ranger dabbers and neocolor II water soluble crayons to colour my face and hair, added wings and antennae (used Stewart Gill Byzantia paints yummy), a little journaling - sprayed with fixative and almost cried! Sigh - sadly some black pen does not like fixative and spreads, runs and separates. Oh well - keep going! Highlighted some features with charcoal to separate from background and added an iron on word - eeeeek - heat makes some paint lift from paper - sigh - another lesson learned!
Here are a few close ups so you can see what went right and what went wrong!
Products used on Background:
- Acrylic Paint Dabbers: Snow Cap, Gold, Purple Twilight, Citrus, Raspberry & Pool
- Dylusions Sprays: Turquoise, Grape & Grass
- Adirondack Acrylic Paint: Butterscotch
- Lindy's Stamp Gang Starbursts: Tibetan Poppy Teal & Witches Potion Purple
- Winsor & Newton Gouache: Peacock Blue, Emerald & Bengal Rose
- Golden White Gesso
- Crafter's Workshop Stencils: Mini Daisy Doo-dad, Mini Chicken Wire, Mini Wonky Circles
- Coffee Break Design Stencil: Butterflies
- Donna Downey iron on word: Inspire
May your day sparkle!