Today I felt like creating something with a photo of my cat taken over Christmas - who can resist a holiday snap! I decided to use this as an opportunity to have a little play and experiment with a few new techniques and ideas in my art journal. I think the key to this one was the mixed media layered background using washi and deco tape, light molding paste, watercolor paint and sprays, to add soft and subtle color. Let me show you how you can create something similar.
Now this journal page has the feel of a scrapbook layout, and with good reason - you can use this background technique on cards, pages or layouts!
Start by creating a few layers of different materials for your wintery, mixed media, art journal background - stick to colours in neutral tones. I've layered washi, deco tape, molding paste and watercolor paints and sprays to create this 'tiled' effect, with a little help from a Tim Holtz stencil.
Make sure your background has a little variety, don't add the stencilled design over the whole area, perhaps just 1/3. This way it will look more interesting once finished and you will have different looks from the same products over the stencilled area and on plain paper. The shimmer from the Long John's Silver Moonshadow Mist looks amazing on the plain paper!
Add some stamped images to your background in coordinating colours, before adding your embellishments - just for a little extra pattern and interest - make sure they are not too dark and distracting though.
You can watch as I create the mixed media background and then finish the page, why not create along with me!
- Check the supply list at the bottom of this post to make sure you have the supplies needed, or something similar.
For the finishing touches, emboss some of your embellishments, I chose Queen Sheba's Silver and Morning Glory Azure - these stayed within my colour palette and didn't compete with the colours on the background.
Add some Mini Art Stones and wire thread to help draw the eye around the page and toward the central image, I also couldn't resist a few small glittery snowflakes - these also repeated the washi and stamped patterns in the background.
Get creative with your embellishments, I used these white leaves from Prima and a snowflake brad to create a custom winter flower!
And the page is complete, a hint of colour, a hint of sparkle and one very cute fluffy kitten!
The Moonshadow Mist really helps bring the colours of the photo and the kraft coloured page together for a seamless coordinated look.
- Lindy's Moonshadow Mist: Long John's Silver
- Lindy's Starburst: TiffanyLou's Blue
- Lindy's Embossing Powder: Queen Sheba's Silver and Morning Glory Azure
- Imaginarium Chipboard: Awesome Mischief IDW0088 and Nat's Squares IDD0038
- X-Press It: 25mm Silver Glitter Deco Tape
- Ecoline Liquid Watercolor - white
- Tim Holtz: Washi Tape and Layering Stencil - Tiles
- Daniel Smith - Paynes Blue Gray Watercolor
- Liquitex: Molding Paste, Matt Gel
- Stickles: Stardust and Frosted Lace
- Ribbon and Cord
- Prima Mini Art Stones, Leaves from Providence Collection vine
- Misc snowflake brad and embellishments